Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Corner Desk - Pros and Cons

A corner desk is a useful piece of furniture. If you already use one for your office or at home, then you already know what a great option it is. If you don't, but are trying to decide what type of desk to get, then take a look at the pros and cons of a corner desk to help you make a good decision.

I've used all sorts of desks over the years. Probably my favorite one is the corner desk I use now. It works great in my home office. I can freely move my office chair around in the space in front of the desk. This is extremely important to most people, as it is for me. Being able to access not only my keyboard, but also my filing cabinet and printer easily is something facilitated by having a corner desk. A regular rectangular shaped desk tends to get over crowded. So, pro number one is ease of access to office machines and work spaces.

The second pro of using a corner desk is that it is an efficient use of space that otherwise would be wasted. You know how it is. If there is an extra square foot of free space we tend to fill it up with something. Maybe one of those awful fake plants I am sorry to say I have owned way too long. Or some figurine or other useless object will be placed there. I'm not sure why we do that, but we do. Obviously, having the desk in the corner means nothing else can go there.

My corner desk also has vertical space built in above the main work surfaces in the form of shelves. These are really nice. I can't emphasize enough how important it has become to me to be able to place objects up and out of the way. I like to use part of the shelf to keep my extra cds and DVDs, a few basic office supplies, and a few personal items like a picture and plant. On the other part of the shelf I tend to store my external hard drive, digital camera, card reader and flash drive. These things are nice to have close by since they are regularly used, but up and out of the way of my normal working area.

The biggest con to owning and using a corner desk is really only applicable if you are one of those people who just has to have their back to the wall. I don't know if that comes from the old west thing where you always want to have the room and door in front of you at all times or what. You never know when you might have a shoot out I guess, and you want to be prepared for anything. All kidding aside, some people are just more comfortable when they are situated more directly against a wall or in a corner facing out. I, for one, am not one of those people so having a corner desk that forces my chair to be more out in the room with my back to the door doesn't bother me at all.

There are many sorts of desks that come in all shapes and sizes, and any number of these may work great for you. A corner desk is something I have come to prefer over the years because of their ease of use and organization as well as accessibility to everything you need while working. If you are considering a corner desk, I would recommend one without reservation.

2 comments:

Allvira said...

I am also using two corner desk in my bedroom. Its good. But one drawback is too much access of small luggage on it already there. That's the main concern.
Allvira
modern baby furniture

home office corner desks said...

Great post! Corner desks are perfect where space is at a premium. They offer the space you need in a compact functional design. These corner desks are available in a variety of styles, finishes as well as prices for your convenience.